Survey work conducted in the summers of 1921 and 1922 showed the need for an English-language Lutheran congregation in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The first worship service for Zion Lutheran took place during the summer of 1922, with more services to follow in the spring and summer of 1923.
The congregation officially was organized as Zion English Evangelical Lutheran Church on Sunday, September 9, 1923. A constitution and by-laws were adopted. Twenty-seven people signed the charter roll in the first two weeks.
By December 11, 1923, the fledgling congregation had obtained a lease to occupy the Scandinavian Hall at 236 John Street, with option to purchase, nd bought the property in 1926. Members had to work hard to make the old hall look like a church. The original altar, for example, was improvised from wooden packing crates.
A major expansion in 1929 saw the addition of a 20-foot chancel with vestry. Excavation provided a meeting room underneath the small frame church building. Repairs and additions continued through the years to make the old meeting room look more 'churchly'. By the early 1950, the need for a larger and more modern facility had become obvious.
Zion's congregation broke ground for the present church building on March 2, 1958 at the corner of Upton Road and Wellington Street East.